Translit Logo

+353(01) 4595158

Graduation cap placed on books beside a globe

Irish Students: Consider These 3 Questions Before Moving Abroad For Higher Education

Are you one of the Irish students who received their Leaving Cert results and had your world turned upside down? 

Did you miss out on your first choice even though you achieved top class grades? 

Was 3 September a day you will remember for all of the wrong reasons? 

Then this article is for you. 

With an average increase of 2.6% on grades from 2020, it is obvious that a large majority of students would be frustrated by the new bumped up expectations.

Last Tuesday the Central Applications Office (CAO) released their first round of offers and it did nothing to allay the spreading panic as students missed out on their first preference. 

But in life there are always alternatives, and in this situation many have opened their minds to the possibility of snapping up one of the remaining places in degrees across other European countries.

Brexit made the UK a much less desirable destination while studying elsewhere in Europe gives you the chance to learn a new language, experience a different culture, and add to your CV.

So what should you consider before relocating to another country to further your studies?

1. Have you the funds to study abroad?

Living costs in other major European cities are generally much more favourable in comparison to Ireland and the UK but it’s important to consider educational costs too. Students who join programmes in state-sector universities in Denmark, Sweden and Finland will not be charged fees. There are no tuition fees in Germany and Austria but there are semester fees. Annual tuition fees are low in the Netherlands while medical school fees are very low in Italy. 

2. Do you understand the documentation that is required?

Make sure to do your research, it’s very important to check what forms and documentation you will require before travelling to these countries to undertake study there. The perks of being part of the EU is that you will be treated similarly to a national in another EU country. However, it is completely different outside of the EU where you may need a student visa.

3. Do you know who can help finalise your application?

Although you may be travelling to a country where a degree is taught through English, you will often have to translate all of your documents if you are moving outside Ireland and the UK. To get help for translation click here.

Universities will also often require the legalisation of documents. These documents can range from medical reports to examination results so it’s crucial you deal with a trusted legaliser. If you require document legalisation click here.

So, if you have not received your first choice offer, or in fact, you are already on your way to another country to continue your studies, make sure you do your research and prepare accordingly. This is the start of a new beginning and you need to give yourself the best possible opportunity.

Share this post